View Single Post
      01-24-2023, 01:30 AM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyasdado View Post
Everytime i see your cai i become more interested. Everrything about it. Also ive wrapped my intercooler hoses, but i did mine in header wrap. May i ask what material you used? Also are those after market intercoolers? Lastly what did you do with the factory breathers?(ive learned to hate them and their stupid unflexable plastic hoses that crack when looked or thought about too hard). I assumed thats where my vacuum leak was, or am i wrong?

to respond to the above reply. his setup might require some effort to initially install, but judging from the photo im guessing the most time consuming part of the install would be removing and throwing away the factory intake. After that it looks like everything appears much easier to get to making basic maintenance easier and faster. lol. Can anyone hear me falling deeper in love with this setup? Its simplicity and beautiful and its easy to see how this would move more air more efficently over a shorter distance.

Thanks! It represents over a year of hard work and testing and I am extremely happy with the results. It improves on every aspect of the stock intake, not just performance but also lets the engine run cooler buy not covering up the valve covers and allows easy access to the coil packs and spark plugs. You can change all the coil packs without a single tool in just a few minutes and complete spark plug change is a breeze now.

For intercooler hoses the wrap jajja posted works great and also the wrap found in home depot for outside pipes works great too

The Intercoolers are Alpina Intercoolers (Basically the same as the M intercoolers but made for the n63 turbos). You can find them on ebay from time to time. They are approx 30% bigger then the stock n63 intercoolers. You need to get the matching charge pipes with them if you get them. I wrapped the intercoolers themselves in a thermal heat sheild and then heat reflective tape (pics and links below)

Yes you are correct the plastic corrugated plastic is notorious for leaking. Unfortunately the lower tubes that connect to the actual engine intakes on the cylinder heads must still be used (that is until I have a CNC mill and make a solution for that too ) The rest can be replaced with -An fittings and hose in the thread Jajja linked above.

I use a Industrial Nylon Based carbon fiber thermoplastic. It is the only thing I have found that an withstand the brutal temps at the turbo inlet which will reach close 250 degrees about engine shutdown and thermal soak sets in. It is incredible material but very expensive however well worth it and why I can give a lifetime warranty on the intakes. You actually have some of in your engine compartment now, the lower intakes on the cylinder heads are made from a nearly identical thermoplastic but glass fiber filled instead of carbon fiber filled (to save BMW money).

You are correct, the most time consuming is removing the old intakes on the 50i, it takes a few hours to do on the 50i because you must remove not only the intakes but also the turbo inlets and replace them. Once you are done however you now have one the easiest to work on engines when it comes to spark plug and coil replacement and air filter maintenance is a breeze. The kit comes with lifetime K&N filters and a recharge kit for cleaning.

On the M the install is much simpler and only takes about 30min as you do not need to replace the turbo inlets.

As Jajja mentioned I will be producing these very soon, I am in the very final stages of final design tweaking, I am making the ram air scoops easy to remove in just a few seconds with no tools in-case of heavy rain or snow. I will make a formal announcement on the forums once I am ready to begin production and take care of the pre-orders already placed by the end of this week.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-010396-High

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B00YJERW40
Attached Images

Appreciate 1