View Single Post
      03-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #417
Kinleyg
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition Xdrive

I haven't read through the thread because I'm new and this is a long one. I can give a quick synopsis of my weight loss story and am happy to answer any questions. I'm definitely not an expert, I just know what worked for me.

Overweight since I was 6. At 31 I was 6'5 and and about 400 pounds. Decided to get an exercise bike. Was awful at first but after a couple weeks I could really see my cardio improving. Started to lift a few weights. Then changed my diet, then tracking what I ate in Lose It (app). I cut out most sugar, anything processed, and tried to limit the unhealthy refined carbs. I decided to commit to the life change (a diet is temporary, this only works if you change your view which means changing your life really) and in the span of 18 months I lost 180 pounds. I got down to 220 but my body mass was clearly off (destroyed too much muscle). It's all about calories consumed being less than calories expended.

At this point (age 33) I changed to a more realistic lifestyle from the more aggressive weight loss to more of a lets kind of maintain, gain some muscle, and try to be reasonable. I gained some weight back, all the way up to 280. So from 33 until 38 (just before covid) I'd bounce between 250 and 280. Through covid I've found a nicer routine. I work out 3-4 days a week, I don't eat that healthy and I've been fairly stable around 255.

Best tip I can give is don't drink calories. I only drink water and black coffee. Alcohol was hard alcohol with sparkling water when I still did but found as time went on I just drank less and less.

Second best tip find your right workout time and method. I found working out at home worked the best and in the afternoon. I've been lucky to find ways to get my work done around this but not everyone can. Find something that works for you that doesn't give you a reason to not work out.

I don't think the no carbs or keto necessarily work long term because eventually you need to find your own happy medium. So I never tried those. Fasting makes sense but again I've never tried.

You'll slip up, you'll have setbacks and most importantly you will 100% gain some weight back. The trick there is being stubborn on the side of the weight loss. Don't get fed up and say screw it because you messed up 1 day or messed up 1 week. The important part is to put a stop to the slide at the first moment you can.

Sorry for the novel just one fat guys experience.

Last edited by Kinleyg; 03-21-2022 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0