09-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #20
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I feel like this is rehashing my points on the "why lease?" Thread. :-)

Great deals are out there to be had (in the Northeast you can see 15-20% discount on a loaner before incentives).

I have a 228 loaner right now - it had 26 PSI in 2 tires when I got it and I was fumbling with the iDrive and nailed a massive pothole yesterday, all while driving it around on a mostly empty tank because they gave it to me with 1/4" tank and I'm not putting more gas into it than I need.

I threw the car seat in it, and my muddy toddler was grinding his feet into the beige seats after a trip to the park.

Now the seats will probably clean off, the tire might be fine (or it'll bubble and be the dealers problem) so generally the cars are cleaned up well. But if you think those cars will get alignments, new tires, etc then the answer is no.

Leasing a loaner is still one of my best-recommended ways to drive a new luxury car for the least and most predictable amount of money, as long as the limitations of a lease structure work for your driving habits (low mileage, able to take good care of the car). You can negotiate a tremendous discount and drive a very nice car for far less than a new build would cost,and not have to deal with any of the potential long term damage that the bozo's like me driving it like a rental have put it through. If the turbo blows at 60k that'll be someone elses problem.

Visit leasehackr.com and check out the forums to get an idea of the deals you can get.

I would've gotten my X5 as a loaner if one presented itself in the right amount of time, but you're limited by inventory and in my case the BMWCCA rebate and timing of my wifes lease return made it only like a $20/mo delta between new and loaner to get her the exact options she wanted.
I agree with the part in bold. Original post is about lease/purchase of a loaner, my statement was only that I would prefer to get a slightly used car from one owner than from a dealer loaner that let anyone that came through the door use. Leasing a loaner has it's pluses and minuses that you prefer, one being that regardless of how it was treated or how dependable it is, any problems will be covered by a warranty for the whole time you have it. Purchasing a loaner also has it's pluses and minus, same with buying slightly used and keeping it long term (my choice).

My goal is to drive a nice car (not necessarily new) minimizing overall expenses and I am ok with the added risk that comes with not having a warranty. I haven't seen loaner prices that interested me when factoring in the history of the car.