Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
This past Oct bought a 2011 X5d with 130k from the local Subaru dealer. It was a local car with 1 owner and all the service at the BMW dealership. It drove well and felt solid. One week later the check engine light comes on ( after only putting about 60 miles on it). I take it back and they in turn take it back to the BMW dealer which does testing and diagnosed a bad NOX sensor. They also state the DEF tanks are not transferring properly and the DPF is nearly clogged. They quote (if I remember correctly ) $1400 for the sensor and transfer pump. Asked Subaru dealer if they would contribute as this seemed to be a pre-existing condition and their answer was sorry but no. I took the X5 to a German diesel expert and he is doing extensive bench top testing of the EGR, Egr cooler, DPF, SCR system with tanks and swirl flaps. The car is running very well during the test period although a little whiny. Since the extended emissions test, I did the transmission filter change with mecatronic seals. Air filter, oil change, and fuel filter. 135k today
Never buy Diesel X5 as the headaches exceed any mileage or torque benefits. Gas turbo has more lower end torque. Emissions equipment on the diesel is the deal killer. The money you spend on repairing diesel emissions equipment will negate any mileage benefits and plus diesel is more expensive then gas.
We are all entitled to our opinions, cost for diesel in PA is comparable to premium unleaded. We will see who makes it to the 200k club. Saw one poster in this thread at 216k. Happened to be driving a 35d...
Appreciate 0