TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
they are mostly the same but still has some differences. for example, the piston compress is different. i found this out by accident when i had the block sleeved and needed new pistons and rods. the m5 rods are straight rods like 99% of the world. my stock rods are straight but have an angled bottom at about 45 degrees which allows for clearance. the s63tu has a notch in the bottom of the cylinder walls to allow clearance for the straight rods found in the m5 etc. i had to grind out the notch on my s63 to allow for the straight m5 rods.

piston compression varies 9:1, 9.5:1, 10:1, etc. if you deviate from the stock pistons then of course will need a tune. i think either way will need a tune, even if you have one made very conservative, just to get all the knocks out and have it run smooth. but yes, you can have a s63tu with your regular dme, just need it tuned for it. a few places i spoke with were surprised i did not go with an s63tu from the get-go. i told them this is what was available for the money at the time (covid-----2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-SRT View Post
Can our cars run a s63tu engine with our stock dme? I tried to do research on it a few years back when my x5m had a spun bearing but couldn't find any info, would be cool if it was as easy as just replacing our dme with a s63tu dme but I'm sure it's not. After a while I gave up researching after I purchased c63s, then I got my wife a glc63. She loves the x5m and misses it, I figured it's time to start looking into it again... :-/