03-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
The people doing the hiring have different things to consider depending on their goals. If they are a top team, then this is all about winning the constructor's championship for the millions it delivers. That's a team prize so you better have a great team starting with the championship caliber driver. Could you have two? Maybe, but can you afford that? Will it even be necessary if you believe you have the best car and program? Finding great drivers isn't easy because the best proven ones are usually under contract to your competitors. Probably the most effective way is to have your own driver development program to at least ensure a supply of new, relatively inexpensive talent. This is what most top teams do today. Have 1 star and 1 less expensive apprentice. The drama usually happens when the apprentice outshines the master which inevitably happens as racers age. The second tier teams have harder decisions to make because they don't have the resources and know they aren't winning the championship. Their goal is mostly to find and satisfy sponsors so as to live another day until maybe they get someone with very deep pockets. It's always about the money.