View Single Post
      05-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #90
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

There should be an FAQ on all car forums about EV's

- First thing that could eliminate 90% of noise about EV's is if you can't charge the car at home or where you live it's probably a bad idea. Start there, almost a hard stop. The massive advantage over gas cars is I have a full charge everyday for 5 seconds of my time (plugging it in at night)

- If you live in the cold or far North and drive a lot it's probably a bad idea. For example, I have driven home from Albany NY to North Jersey where I live and went from 68% charge to 5%, it was 140 miles straight and it was very cold that night, 5 degrees outside. Cold Weather absolutely crushes the Lithium Ion battery. I barely made it. I almost had to stop, and I could have but its way inconvenient in this scenario.

- Any commercial or large vehicle application (towing/landscape/work truck/trailer/3rd row SUV) etc is also a horrible idea or not possible with an EV. Another very hard to argue point

- After owning a Model Y for 9 months gas cars feel extremely slow and clunky. Funny to hear people call EV's golf carts. I would call whatever you are driving as your daily, a true golf cart, literally. EV's are insanely quick and responsive. It is way more of a spaceship than a "golf cart", because that is a horrible analogy.

If you're criteria doesnt match the above cons, an EV feels superior in every way. I thought I would miss the feel and engagement of a gas car myself, but after owning this Tesla for 9 months dealing with a slow noisy ICE car is truly annoying. Most cars are extremely slow and loud in comparison, I hope people appreciate how responsive and QUIET and torquey an EV is. Under appreciated point here how peaceful having dead silence is or not having an engine/transmission thrashing around going nowhere. Most sporty ICE cars in comparison are very slow and would get destroyed by a base level Model Y (380 HP). There is less engagement but what you gain is massive instant power that does not get old.

Nothing is perfect but it is clearly the future for most people. Gas cars will be around until we are old and gray because certain applications gas/diesel will always be a better tool for the job...
Appreciate 5