View Single Post
      11-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Absolutely unbelievable, it boggles the mind how anybody can be so stupid. I've read a couple articles on the matter, including some interviews with attorneys who represent Americans detained in China. They say it's common for the accused to sit in jail for 30-45 days before their case is even brought before a judge, and bail is basically unheard of. If these young men are guilty of the crimes, I hope they don't see any special treatment from the Chinese. Stupidity like this is generally terminal, spending 3-10 years in a Chinese prison might just save them from being Darwin'd.
I read the same info regarding past experiences. Basically, unless there are special circumstances, China has no leniency on these crimes. The ONLY thing I can think of since there're absolutely no information out there on what happened, is if 3 guys got arrested and less than 3 items were stolen, surely, someone will get a more lenient sentencing as someone obviously was just an accomplice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Funny (in a tragic kind of way) that the interviews on campus everyone thinks "it's just a big misunderstanding"

Funnier (even more tragic) is there are rumors that Trump's visit may help get them out
I'm pretty sure, sooner or later, security camera footage will be released of the "misunderstanding". I'm sure there's going to be pretty clear evidence of theft.

That said, Chinese prosecutors achieve a 98% conviction rate. And from what I understand, if someone like Lavar Ball runs his mouth publicly, it will do his kid a even greater disservice in sentencing.

Lavar was scheduled to make press conference today, but was "advised" not to speak until the legal matter is settled.

Also, if there's solid evidence of the theft, only an act of god will help them at this point. The Chinese law on theft is clear cut and punishment is based on the value of goods stolen. I read that they stole LV sunglasses, I suppose those are one of the cheaper items to steal at a LV store.

Hey kids...how do you like the good ol' US of A now? huh?

Last edited by Flying Ace; 11-08-2017 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0