View Single Post
      12-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #57
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
You're not grasping the concept of biasing your choice of tires. I never said winter tires are just for snow. I'm saying winter tires are biased towards snowy icy conditions at the expense of dry performance. Everything in life involves give and take. Tire choice included.
No, winter tire tread compounds are engineered to not get hard and lose traction when it gets cold. It doesn't matter if it's dry or icy, when the pavement is cold, high performance tires will suck and all-seasons will suffer too. You really should think about a better choice of words, other than "dry", I think what you mean to say is "warm". Some of us drive in places where the pavement remains very cold, due to little daytime heating, in fact, a lot of BMW drivers do across Canada, Norway/Sweden/Finland, Russia and others. It doesn't need to be -40 to experience this either. It's all about compromises. IMO, life is too short to not experience summer performance tires in summer, but that depends significantly on the vehicle, if not a high performance vehicle, then not as important.