View Single Post
      04-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #464
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFRED10 View Post
So i've "successfully" switched out my previous 4.4 unit to the new 8.1 unit. I have everything working as before except for one problem. I'm no longer able to control the Apple Carplay menu with the iDrive knob as I was able to with my old unit. I can only use the Carplay menu via the touchscreen which is very frustrating. I've contacted support with no answer as of yet. Anyone else run into this problem? If so, did you ever get it figured out? I'm concerned these new 8.1 units may not be compatible with the iDrive knob for Carplay as the old units were. If that's the case, I'll have to switch back to the old unit
I’ve just installed today a new 8.1 unit in my e70 (uk, but should be the same).

Install went smooth but the hardest part was routing the cables to the arm rest. Got there in the end. Everything works ok, well, as well as expected with the quirks I’d read about. But the CarPlay issue is really annoying as this is mainly what I want it for.

I too don’t have any steering or idrive control in CarPlay. Volume works fine. Interesting, if I go into Bluetooth in the main android screen, then back into CarPlay, track selection from steering wheel starts working!

I guess it’s a software issue with the autolink app but I don’t know if it will be fixed. Might try a different dongle and see if it works.
Appreciate 0