06-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvdman View Post
Here is an update. BMW is covering: valve seals, oil separators, turbocharger oil return pipes, return cover and gaskets, rear crankshaft seal and rear engine cover.

They said it is about $15K worth of repairs and labor that they are completely covering. They said no to a new engine. I am glad they are. Is it worth keeping this 2013 X5? I barely drive it and feel like I will always worry in the back of my mind. I want to try a newer X5 40 non turbo, are they reliable? I have to believe BMW is better than this. Maybe I need to look at some other SUVs.
That's great news BMW is covering all of that. It should be worth keeping after they spend 15K on your X5...you should be good to go for awhile. I'd also budget some extra $ while they have your motor dropped out (for valve seals) for any other repairs that might be needed - labor will be a fraction of normal with the motor out. I had several repairs done when I had all this same work done.

The new 40i is a twin-turbo I6 motor. There hasn't been a non-turbo gas engine available in the X5 in North America since 2010. And those things are 60K base with zero options, 75K-80K optioned nicely. It'll be way cheaper to keep fixing your 50i than buy one of those.
Appreciate 0