View Single Post
      04-13-2022, 07:30 AM   #43
jase116
Rep
Drives: x6 M

Great info do you have contact id like to ask you a few question. ii have a 2011 that im wanting to do this conversion on. I just bought a 2013 parts car to swap the parts from. makammotors@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding View Post
Greetings,

I've performed this retrofit on two E71s recently and I would like to share just a few points with people still interested in doing this. One of the cars was an EU model, and the other one a US model. I'm not experienced or a pro and this was in fact my first contact with something like this. That's why I'm compelled to share these points as they may come as trivial for experienced people, but help people doing it for the first time.

1 - As already pointed on the forum, the cutoff date for the footwell module replacement might not be accurate. My car was from 11/2010 and still needed the footwell module to be changed. After coding everything would work minus the high beam function. The footwell module that I found to work without issues was the one with the "44" number on it. The number is in the left side of the sticker beside the BMW logo. I tried a "43" and a "39" if I'm not mistaken, but the only ones that worked were the ones with the "44". Please check the attached picture.

2 - In the US model car, one of the cables that was supposed to be put on the headlight connector (coming from the new retrofit harness) and inside the car was already on the original headlight harness. The exact same wire color. So the decision was to not use the one on the retrofit wiring harness and leave the one on the car. If I am to take an un-educated guess, I believe this is the wire powering the side maker orange lights. The US model already had that function, but the EU model didn't. Since the Full LED headlights have this orange side marker I think some cars need this wire. Please take note that this situation with one of the cables already being there happened also on the other side. Likewise, the wire on the (new) retrofit wiring harness wasn't used.

3 - If one is to somehow manage to get a deal on the LED headlights, you can order the other parts from the retrofit kit. A quick note, the 5-way miniature connector, the blade terminal, fuses and the 2-way miniature connector will be inside the bag with the retrofit wiring harness (part number 61 12 2 312 375). Lost so much time looking for the part numbers on those... only to find them inside the bag with the retrofit wiring harness...

4 - I originally got a retrofit kit (63 13 2 297 442) from a very nice and reputable online online distributor. And he clearly stated that this kit was only for EU cars and NOT compatible with US cars. You can still see this note on different online sellers. In fact, browsing the internet, the Full LED lights have different part numbers between US and EU cars. The fact is I have swapped the headlights and FRM's between both cars and they work just fine. I have swapped both xenon and full LED headlights. Both with the adaptive/cornering function. The only I had was with the US xenon amber side markers not working on the EU model even after coding this option (that's not a bid deal anyway). So, US/EU FRM's and US/EU different headlights all worked between them.

5 - Lastly, after completing the installation, the car goes completely crazy with power windows not working, different lights working on one side of the car, and not on the other and vice-versa, please despair not and check the connectors on the FRM are really tight or pushed all the way through!
Appreciate 0