View Single Post
      06-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #27
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Okladies and men. I've decided to do some light research into this, primarily based on how cheaply I could apparently source the differentials. A lot of factors would have to line up right for me to really have the ability to TRY the swap, but a little research wouldn't hurt, right? I plan on keeping this vehicle hopefully until at least 500k miles, so long term, it could be feasible for me to do this mod, or maybe to another in the future,

So, looking at realoem... the first thing I notice on the differential pages for my 2010 build 35d and a mid 2011 build 50i is that the 35d mentions #6 on the front diff page, which is some sort of centering ring that seats the what I believe to be the front driveshaft, centered with the flange off the frot diff. The 50i specifically omits that. That leads me to the next step, which is to check the part numbers of the tow axles up front, and the driveshafts of both vehicles. I'm hoping the numbers actually match up, because that's the only real way to be sure they'd fit. The mounting bolts for the front diff look to have the same specs, which is a good start.

It's going to be a bit of a process, but I'm all about knowing any useless information I can get, and this seems like information I'll never actually need, which makes it more fascinating!

This research won't happen overnight. I need to think through my organization so that I can do it bit by bit and track the matching process/ not matching progress, probably going to set up a spread sheet.

And for what it's worth, it looks like I'd be able to source a front and rear diff for HOPEFULLY under 200 each, but I'd have to check with these yards to se if I could get milages on the units. Who knows... and e70 diffs aren't known to be the longest lasting in the world.