United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
I started this a while ago (March), learned about wrapping along the way, and it took a long time to figure out when I wanted to stop wrapping interior parts. Notice the return of the red start button...with all the black trim I knew the red button was needed.

Here's what I wrapped:
-I have OEM Carbon Leather trim, but all the pieces beneath this trim come in aluminum, no matter which trim you choose. I covered all these pieces with 3M 2080 Gloss Black. I removed all 4 door panels and all trim pieces (vents, start) except glovebox trim. Luckily the glovebox trim is easier to wrap in place than it looks. I had originally wrapped them all in a 3M Aluminum Matte (like the shifter console trim), but it was too bright your eyes never saw the carbon leather trim.
-With the center console trim piece removed to install the new Android Monitor, I decided to also wrap it in 3M 2080 Gloss Black. I was going to use a satin here, but started with the gloss just to see and it looked good enough.
-The Gear Selector Cover is also wrapped in 3M 2080 Gloss Black. I started with a carbon gloss off brand and I couldn't get it to stick on the edges. I probably wrapped this piece a dozen times before getting to this final wrap.
-The EDC Button Trim is normally aluminum, but as you can see I wrapped it in 3M 2080 Matte Deep Black. I arrived at this color configuration looking at F10 and F85 shifter trim configurations.
-Like newer bmw's I wrapped the thin strip on the emergency brake module in 3M 1080 Satin White Aluminum. I must have wrapped that piece two dozen times and I still don't think it's 100%.
-The shifter console trim surround was also wrapped it 3M 1080 Satin White Aluminum.
-The iDrive module has two pieces wrapped in 3M 2080 Gloss Black. The top aluminum ring and the lower aluminum piece. The lower aluminum piece has four notches to align with the illuminated arrows on the very top of the iDrive. I cut the wrap to maintain those notches and the reflectiveness when looking down at the iDrive.
-On the back of the armrest console I again used 3M 2080 Gloss Black to wrap the top trim piece and the lower charge port trim piece. I installed two inexpensive, but useful, Aukey CC-Y11 for USB-A/USB-C for charging. With the front center console wrapped, I felt the back needed something.
-Not shown, but I also wrapped the lower black trim piece of the exterior mirror in 3M Gloss Black. I had planned to do the entire mirror and pulled it apart. But the parts were complicated, so I decided to only do the lower trim. I probably have the cleanest exterior mirror internals around.

NOTE: The 3M 2080 Gloss Black has a slight orange peel to it. From a foot away you can see it well. As you can see the Deep Matte Black does not.

Attachment 2362016

Attachment 2362017

Attachment 2362655

Attachment 2362018
awesome job, looks great!
Appreciate 1
argento538.00