12-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post
But the day when the tire get broken you really miss the run flat tyre.

I can tell from my experience that it was really hard to change the spare tyre on road using the car's own tools.

Really on that moment I was missing that why I was not driving a BMW which has RFTs by default.
Trust me I had a couple of punctured RFT tires, and they weren't pleasant experiences. I'd rather have changed my spares than deal with RFTs. A few reasons:

1. You can't get it repaired -- no reputable shop will patch a RFT tire because the sidewall strength has already been compromised in case you have another flat.

2. It's difficult to get them swapped out easily -- most shops don't carry RFTs of the right size in stock, and you have to wait a few days for the tires to be ordered in. This put your car out of commission for a few days at least. If you want to change in matching pairs (always recommended), that's a lot of $$.

If you are unlucky enough to have a flat in the middle of nowhere, then you are stuck there until your tires arrive. This makes less than ideal for long distance trips.

3. There is no good reason to put up with the nosy and stiff ride. Some mention "weight saving", and if BMW is REALLY concerned about it, BMW wouldn't have made the car larger and heavier in every iteration.
Appreciate 0