View Single Post
      02-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
I know this is stressful, but give them a chance to make it right. You are getting ONE HELL OF A DEAL so far, so just get a loaner or rental car and try to be patient. As mentioned, these engines are complicated and it could be something minor that popped up. GL!

So what I want to know is, how many engine oil consumption tests did they do before getting approval to do the VSS work?
The lawsuit states it has to fail 3 tests, but the dealer can use their discretion...

Mine uses oil, but not an insane amt. I got the add oil message this wknd, so I added a qt this morning and hit the Trip odometer reset to see how many miles before being notified again... Just to get an idea.

Exhaust VANOS Solenoid Bank 1 replaced. No charge.

They picked up and delivered the X5 back to my home which is 24 miles each way.

Credit where credit is due: the dealer jumped when this happened and fixed it.

That said, I am worried that this kind of work requires that all kinds of connectors, gaskets, hoses and clamps be removed and reinstalled on an 8 year old vehicle and that some may have been weakened or otherwise compromised as the solenoid was and I told them so. They (the SA) assured me that they would take care of anything that could be related to the VSS replacement the same way they did this solenoid. I hope they do.

Overall, I am unhappy that they needed to take it back, but also happy they jumped to fix it.

WRT the oil consumption, it seems that they made the decision to do the VSS replacement more on what they saw (and recorded) and sent to BMW than on actual consumption. They said BMW authorized the VSS job as part of the BANG lawsuit.
Appreciate 0