Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I’m just trying to finish a AA degree (undecided major). I have 18 credits left. I know it makes no sense but I’m being honest.

I like to cook and work on cars, but I’m a firm believer I’m better than a blue collar job (no disrespect to anyone). I want to be able to make a decent living and be happy for once. Watching all my friends on Facebook have families and move forward with their lives makes me depressed. It’s like a slap in the face to me, so I’ve kept my distance from those people.
Everyone’s life has a different path and you can’t compare yours to everyone else’s. It’s hard to do, but it’s something that is achieved over time.

Regarding the blue collar worker comment, there’s nothing degrading about being a mechanic. It’s primarily about location when it comes to this job. My brother lives in crossville, tn. He was a mechanic down here in Florida barely making 40k a year. Doing the exact same thing in tn, he made 85k last year. A mechanic, making 85k in a year. I didn’t think it was possible without being specialized, but with his certifications and location, working at a general mechanic store (not a dealer or some specialty shop) he made a killing. He has a wife and 4 kids, bought his first house, and almost done paying off his debts. He didn’t go to school, he just learned the trade and became really good at it.

You can do the same thing. Like others have mentioned, maybe college isn’t the path for you. Look into trade schools. And if you decide you still want to do college and get a degree, use your last few credits to take classes to fill electives in different areas and see what sparks your interests. I got my AA degree before getting a secondary AS and subsequent BS in information systems management. I thought I wanted to be a computer engineer, so I took physics classes and the calf sequence and found I hate those classes. So I looked into computer science and did some programming. Found I hated that as well, but did a little “programming” with networking at the same time. Really enjoyed that and pursued it. I’ve been a network engineer for the USAF and got my experience in active duty.

Bottom line is this. You have to find what you enjoy doing and that’s the path for you. Look past the social standing of jobs and realize everyone is part of the bigger picture and contribute to society in different, unique ways that without them entirely the society would break down in its current state and would have to adapt in another way.
Appreciate 2
NEfan5082658.50
MKSixer34184.50