07-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y13LD View Post

In the future, is there any solution to this?
As stated above...try to remember to keep the key on you (like in your pocket) or outside the vehicle. I try to NEVER lay the keys down inside the trunk or cargo area.

But most of all...I ALWAYS unlock the doors first when loading anything into the trunk or cargo area so in case I do forget and set the keys down inside...the car is UNLOCKED if I accidentally close the trunk or tailgate.

If I'm not driving off...then I relock the vehicle.

I did this "behavior modification" years ago...prior to owning a BMW that had comfort access. And even though CA is supposed to prevent this unfortunate scenario...it apparently fails to be 100% accurate because there has been multiple posts like yours. So I've decided to continue doing what I outlined above...just to prevent getting locked out.

Just unlock the vehicle if loading stuff in...then when done, re-lock the car and go about your business. This will prevent getting locked out of the vehicle. And I follow this same procedure if going into the cabin from the passenger side. You don't have the protection of the lock-out feature (the driver's door won't lock until it is closed)...so always keep the key in your pocket and don't lock the car manually...use the remote so that you know the key is outside the vehicle when it locks.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0