View Single Post
      02-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Shenker
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Sapphire Black

X5M HiFi audio subwoofer quit working

Hey guys,

Have kind of an odd issue, the other day I was driving for about an hour and a half, all highway nothing crazy rough, suddenly when I got into the city, I completely lost all bass instantly. Wasn't really listening to anything in particular but I noticed it sounded funny, didn't think anything of it really until the next time I got in and attempted to listen to music. Played with some EQ settings and I definitely have no sub woofers, either side, at all. The rest of the audio "seems" to be normal.

Couple days later and a LOT of searching the net, it sounds like there is a few obvious possibilities:

1: In some cases its the sub woofers themselves, which makes no sense to me as they both went at the same time, and as far as I can tell they're not wired in series (i.e. dependent on one another electrically). This is what i'm going to be testing today even though I don't think its the woofers.

2: The battery is bad and the vehicle is load shedding as they do and have experienced with HVAC, lighting, etc. At first this was my thought as I had a weak battery to begin with, replaced the battery yesterday and still have no sub woofers.

3: Bad amplifier, this has no solid logic behind it to me either because the rest of the audio works just fine. Seems like kind of a shot in the dark at saying just the sub output died.

So what i'm wondering is, how on earth can I bench test the amplifier?
I'm going to pull the sub(s) today and test the impedance of each coil, that should tell me if there's a break in an electrical connection. I'm skeptical of this to say the least however.

Side note, if it is the woofers themselves, what is the consensus towards BavSound Ghost upgrades over OEM, worth the premium?