United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs503 View Post
Hi folks appreciate all the info on this thread; I'm putting together a new wheel/tire set for my 2011 E70 35d sport premium pkg.

Right now I have the following setup:
- 20"x10" OEM wheels on all four corners
- 275/45R20 Continental ExtremeContacts (spacers in the rear - 15mm if I recall but it's been a while - to account for the 10" width instead of 11") - these tires work out to 29.7" diameter and they do clear the hub carriers on the front
- fender flares (this will matter later when I'm trying to figure out offsets and spacers)

I'm wanting to switch to a beefier, narrower AT tire with some real tread depth, since this car is mostly used for ski trips and backpacking trips and let's be honest grocery trips, but I don't commute these days so the on-road performance isn't as critical.

Based on this thread and some web research, I'm considering the following combination:
- 18" x 8" Black Rhino Overland wheels, which have a 35mm offset and 76.1mm bore size
- 235/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT III tires, which have a 30.0" diameter and should just clear the hub carriers even if I don't get enough extra inner clearance to make it moot

This wheel offset calculator says that going from 20x10 ET40 wheels to 18x8 ET35 wheels will give me 30mm more inner clearance, and 20mm retraction of the outside face into the fender well. Makes sense.

Okay with all that in mind, my questions for you folks more knowledgeable than I am:
  1. I want the front wheels to sit 5mm wider than they currently do (a tad closer to flush with the fender flare in front) which I figure would mean 25mm spacers up front. Can anyone recommend some 5x120 25mm spacers that would work for my e70 in front?
  2. There are other wheels I prefer but they don't come in 5x120 bolt pattern... if I'm using spacers, can I get spacers that bolt to the OEM 5x120 and convert to a different pattern on the wheel? Or is that crazy? I couldn't find any with a quick web search but... idk.
  3. I'm not 100% sure whether the front brake calipers will fit inside an 18" wheel... I know the baseline OEM 35d has 18" wheels but I don't know if the sport premium has bigger calipers than the baseline?
  4. I already have 15mm spacers in the rear, to make up for the change from 11" rear wheel to 10" rear wheel. So with the new 8" wheels pulling it in another 20mm, I guess I need 35mm spacers... does that sound right, and again, any recommendations?
  5. With 30mm more inner clearance up front + 25mm spacers, I figure 55mm total increase inner clearance... is that going to be enough to entire clear the hub carrier, does anyone know? If so, could I go to an even larger diameter tire, or is it going to require a lift to avoid rubbing the wheel well if I go past 30" diameter?

Or really, any other thoughts/concerns/experiences etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks folks,
Nathan in PDX, OR
I would just compare your setup to the the 265/60/18's I have with ET24 wheels.

If you fit within that then you should be fine. I get just a slight rub on the front fender liner still at the bottom of the oil cooler grate. I never really notice it but I can see that the plastic is shiny there.

This calculator works very well: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

A 25mm spacer would put you out about 10mm farther outward than I am. If you are going into the snow then you might want to think about if the snow and dirt will be contained by the fender flare or not. I added the extended ones to avoid any issues with rocks chipping paint, etc.

The Toyo Open Country does have a more aggressive sidewall than my cooper's so you could rub more even at the same offset. Pushing it out 10mm from where I am looks like it should work but I have a 4.8i so the inner fender is a little different. I think it will be close enough to where it can probably be massaged to clear if need be but your mileage may vary....

It is possible to convert wheel patterns but probably not within a 25mm spacer but you might have a a hard time finding the right hub center and bolt pattern to make it all work without hub centric rings (if you care to use them, I consider them unnecessary if you are careful when installing).

I would really find a wheel setup that you can use without spacers though, they are just one more thing that can go wrong. That is one of the reasons that I have the style 93 7 series wheels (well that and not wanting to spend a ton of money on wheels for AT tires). They did require the centers to be bored out but the local wheel repair shop was able to do that.

Note that you may want to get a larger spare...

If you run the smaller spare tire with your new larger tires it could wear out your xdrive. If your spare is off by 3% or more it could be an issue (but others can comment on the limits). If you go 50 miles or less it is probably fine.

I have a 30.5" donut in the stock spare tire location and it just barely fits without having to remove any of the plastic trim.

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 12-23-2020 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0