View Single Post
      02-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #99
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Updated Post #46 with this information:

LESSONS LEARNED UPDATES 17FEB2019
7. Maximum Policy Value. There are usually two policies that will be used in a claim: Property and Personal Injury. Before going to for ASK what the policy holder's maximum policy value is for Property. In my case, I find out at the end that the maximum property policy value is $25K. All the repairs ended up costing just under that and it left me holding the bag for the $650 ceramic coat AND the diminished value claim. You have two choices at this point. 1) Sue the driver that is responsible for the accident or 2) Check your own policy to see if you're covered for UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE (property/personal injury). In my case, opening a claim on U/UM does not impact my policy or my zero claim discount. You need to know this value before you start. Luckily all the supplemental claims on my repair had been paid, if not then I might have received a bill from the shop for the remaining cost. Make sure you have this coverage and make sure you know the maximum value so you and the shop can plan appropriately.

8. Rental Car, Again. This cost goes against the property policy, so in my case $36XX of rental car was used with 6-7 weeks of that due to the Insurance Company's investigation. If the property policy is low, manage this aspect. See if your policy will cover this w/o impacting you negatively. There might even be some separate coverage for rental car on your personal policy.