11-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #47
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
I thought I'd start sharing my experience with this situation. Maybe something can be taken away that helps others, obviously I could have used some help. And eventually I will sell and I can transparently point them to this thread that captures the details.

Reflecting at day 25: I've still yet to get a claim number b/c of the insurance company's investigation. Police report and witnesses align with my statement, so I should be getting a claim number soon; TX law says a claim decision should be forthcoming within 15 days or an extension request should be asked of me. I understand there are loopholes here to extend it to ~60 days. While writing this I got a vmail from the driver's insurance that says we're moving forward with a claim...will confirm tomorrow since after business horus.

LESSON'S LEARNED TO THIS POINT:
1. At the accident, I asked to tow directly to my shop, but I would have had to pay the tow truck cash and I didn't have all of it on me. I should have asked them to drive me to an ATM. I didn't, so off to the Storage Lot.

2. Do not leave your car in the Storage Lot for too long. @ $75/day insurance companies will not pay if you leave it there for weeks and you'll get stuck with the excess cost. I paid to take mine out the next day. I used my insurance's emergency roadside service to cover the tow to my shop. Most of you have this, always good to check. The claim representative said that if I was found not at fault, they would reimburse me.

3. The other driver's insurance company called me within an hour and gave me a liability claim (not a property claim) to go to the doctor. I did, even though I was just sore, better safe than sorry.

4. Rental Car! W/o a property claim I waited 9 days to decide to get a rental car. I should have gotten one immediately. Tell rental agency it's due to an accident, they have different (lower) rates knowing that a large insurance company will eventually be paying. My insurance wouldn't give me a rental unless I was ready to open a claim on my insurance...and I wasn't ready at that time. At day 20, the Claim Rep, confirmed they would pay for my rental and reimburse me what I had expended so far. Certain Insurance companies have deals with certain rental agencies, check and go to the right one to make things easier down the line. At day 25 I found out that the Insurance Companies are supposed to offer an equivalent vehicle to that which was damaged AND pay for 'loss of use'...that being the 9 days I didn't have a vehicle. IF I use someone else's car and don't get a rental, I'm still entitled to be paid the daily allotment.

5. At day 20 I was ready to make a claim on my insurance and just pay the deductible. In fact, on that day, I was wishing I had just made a claim on my insurance back on Day 1...that would have made things much easier to this point. However, two things happened that kept this action at bay. First the Insurance Company was leaning toward deciding in my favor and second, I called my shop and asked which insurance company was better when dealing with the adjuster and OEM parts. My shop said they had better experience dealing with the other driver's insurance. So I waited...but there was another variable to consider that I hadn't yet learned about....see #6 below.

6. Diminished Value. I was recommended the name of an expert in managing diminished value of vehicles. It wasn't long ago that TX didn't allow this, but apparently it now does. This activity doesn't start until AFTER the car is repaired. He asked me which insurance was paying and I told him the other driver's insurance. He indicated that was one of the companies that was most difficult to work with. I also found out I can't request diminished value if I was at fault OR (I think I heard correctly) if I go through my insurance. Definitely ask the questions and get this right BEFORE making a claim on your own insurance.

NOTABLE DAMAGE:
1. THE GOOD. She's drive-able around the shop. The leaking coolant at the accident was due to the displaced hoses on the aux radiator (shown dangling). I only have a CEL light and that's due to the intakes being removed. It's not been decided yet, but I don't think this will get totaled...seems unlikely. I'm pretty picky and my shop is equally thorough, so I'm confident this will be put back together 100% if not better. The shop will be helping me organize all documentation to clearly show what was repaired/replaced/etc for future resale.

2. The pic below shows the stack of broken parts on the shelves that were removed from my vehicle, sans big stuff like the hood, aux radiator, front left wheel, front wiring harness, and suspension parts. There are 3 pages of actual parts, fasteners, etc. All of these to be replaced with new OEM parts.

Attachment 1935890

3. The left side apron will need to be replaced. This involves cutting, welding, riveting, and bolting the new apron.

Attachment 1935892

4. The left side frame rail is slightly bent ~1/8". This will need to be realigned back to certified bmw specs. Thankfully this does not need replacing. (IF it did need replacing, this would require engine removal and would probably cost might tip this over the 65%-70% of cash value).

5. Obvious suspension damage including tie rod, sway bar, and control arm. These will be replaced with new OEM parts. Then an alignment will tell if there are other parts that need replacing.

Attachment 1935903

6. My shop explained that the damage listed above to the apron and rail is not considered insignificant, from a crash damage perspective. But it's all repairable.

Attachment 1935891
Man, I was praying you wouldnt post those pics LOL. Looks like you are on track and hopefully everything will be repaired and car will be back to its former beauty soon.

On another note i think you can help me out with something. PM incoming.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0