View Single Post
      06-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 3.5i

Hi all. My 2013 (build date Oct '12) with 60k miles has the water pump throwing assorted errors. First sign was yellow dash warning followed by red warning a few seconds later. Pulled over and cycled car off/on and all back to normal. Pulled the codes with my handy Carly adapter and showing 0377a.. That's a "blockage error". Ok, weird, but nothing about the water pump. A couple days later same issue. After research online found out multiple codes like this one are triggered when the pump starts failing. So time for a new pump. I can get a new one with a lifetime warranty made by OEM manufacturer for $359 from Autozone. But after researching what a piss poor quality these pumps are, with premature failure rates, does anyone know:

1. if BMW offers a hidden "goodwill" replacement program?
2. If not, is there an aftermarket built hell for stout replacement for it?

There are literally thousands of these crappy washing machine pumps in inline 6 BMW engines all over the world, and I'm still dumbfounded that the primary cooling system pump is literally built like a piece of Chinese garbage (which btw you can find on Amazon for $88 lol)...

Update 1: Just discovered that the pump has been updated to part number 11519455978 as of March 2019. The old part number is not allowed to be used by BMW. Hopefully this new part number fixes the crappy reliability. If you're doing this yourself save yourself some hassle and get the new part number replacement.

Update 2: Newest pump #11519455978 has been unavailable and on back order since it went into BMW's part system in March.

Update 3: ECS Tuning will be getting the new water pump design 11519455978 directly from Continental/VDO by end of July '19.
Appreciate 0