View Single Post
      10-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #44
BMWFanaticRob
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Not sure if anyone is still checking in, however, I think I have the same problem but wanted to be very specific to see if my issue is simply tire related.

I have a 2012 X5 5.0. I had the 255/55/18 square setup. I changed to the 20" 611's, which I have to say look absolutely great on the truck. I did change out the fender flares and really recommend doing it. 275/40/20 on front and 315/35/20 rear with Pirelli PZero RFT tires. I've changed my TC fluid with the BMW specific version. I've changed by front and rear diff fluid. I've had the drive shaft recall completed. There is no play in the driveshaft nor the flex disc. I'm pretty certain that the truck ran fine with the 18's, however, now, I have what feels like a shuddering/vibration during acceleration only. It's smooth from 0-25, then I start to feel something like a vibration in my seat, while I accelerate from about 25 to 33 and then it disappears from 33-36. I don't have the shuddering during low speed turns, which is reported as an issue with the TC, so I feel confident it's not the TC. I have no other vibration or noise when driving highway speeds. When I coast to a stop, no vibration. During hard acceleration, I can't say that it feels worse. During light acceleration, it seems to be less noticeable, but I really have to baby it thorough the 25-35 speed range.

Seems odd that somehow it's related to tires, but with others in this post, it appears that somehow, it is. There's a lot of 20's out there, so if it's just a handful of us, it has to be the actual tire that is the problem.

Regardless, if someone else can describe how/where/when the vibration happens, it would be really helpful. I've always had success with Michelin, so I think that's what I'm going to stick with when these wear out.

Also, if anyone has had the vibration on the 20's, then changes the tires do a different brand of 20's and had it go away, please let me know.
Appreciate 0