View Single Post
      02-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
Mrathell
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i / 2011 X6 50i

error codes 2A98 & 2A99 possible vanos issue?

I'll start by saying I use Carly and Foxwell NT530 to pull codes.

So almost two weeks ago on my 2010 BMW X6 50i I replace the lower (exhaust) vanos solenoid on the passenger side. Everything went fine and the 002A7A (vanos outlet cold start) pending error went away and never came back. I also clean the upper vanos screens as well. I didn't have a CEL but it did show up as a pending code. I had no issues with car prior to changing the solenoid.

Then there days ago I changed the oil after about 2000 miles because 5w40 was put in by an indy shop. I replaced it with Mobile 1 0w30. Replaced the filter as well with a WIX. I also replaced the transaxle fluid and reset the adaptation.

The next morning I drove to work about 25 miles and it drives beautiful. After work I started it up and immediately the check engine light came on and it went into reduced power mode.

I got 002AC7 (Vanos intake cold start), 002A98 ( intake crankshaft - camshaft reference), 002A99 (crankshaft - exhaust reference). There was also a misfire on #4.

Next I replaced the upper vanos solenoid Passenger side), validated the oil filler cap was properly seated and replaced the oil filter from a WIX to a Mahle to make sure I installed it correctly. I also replaced the large o-ring on the oil filter housing. I also replaced the #4 ignition coil and the misfire went away.

But 002A98 & 002A99 still returns immediately and stays in reduced power mode.

One thing I noticed as looking at DIY videos of others changing the oil in the 50i engines was that there seems to be something large and circular at the bottom (inside) of their oil filter housing cap that the filter snaps on to. I didn't have that in my oil filter housing cap. I'm assuming the indy shop failed to remove it from the old oil filter when they tossed it. So I ordered a new oil filter cap housing and replaced it. The car ran a tad bit better but the same codes returned and stayed in reduced power mode.

When I turn on the car it runs great but after maybe 5 seconds the reduced power light comes on and it still runs fine but the half power is noticeable.

Live data of Vanos while engine running using Foxwell NT530

Testing Vanos while the engine is running using Foxwell NT530

Last edited by Mrathell; 02-18-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0