08-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #13
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Its not the toe.
Its the camber.
There is not enough built in negative camber on the front of the e70x5 ....at least not on my x5d.
My front toe is 0.00 and my front outside wears faster then the rest of the tire.
Currently my front outside tires are bald, while the center measures at 5/32nds ....twice in a row now.
Tech @ BMW says he sees this all the time.
The fronts wear on the outsides and the rears wear on the inside (at least on the 20" 275/315 setup)
BMW has the same alignment spec for the 255/18 square setup and the 275/315 20" setup which is part of the problem. The 20" wheels with that super wide staggered width requires a different alignment.

I am going to lower the car on Eibach springs which I drove on my friends e70x5d and the ride was softer and the handling seemed a tad more solid.
Then i am going on the recommendation to go more positive, but within spec on the rear camber to help with inside rear tire wear.
And hopefully, lowering the car will add the negative camber up front to even out the tire wear. Since BMW decided that no camber adjustment is necessary on the front of these newer cars = ridiculous.
Appreciate 0