03-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Today both my key fobs stopped working. I have a 2012 x5 without comfort access.

The keys work for starting the car. The bottons in the car all work (such as lock and unlock). I can activate the alarm and unlock the car using the actual key in the door handle.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Since you do NOT have CA (comfort access)...it means the remotes have a "rechargeable" battery that requires that the remote be physically inserted into the ignition lock (at least twice a year per the owners manual) while the car is being driven so that the battery inside the key can maintain a charge.

Since you didn't mention it...when was the last time either or your remotes have been inserted into the ignition lock (while driving for a good long time interval)?

The remotes have multiple features. The ability to start the vehicle (EWS) is separate (mostly) from the ability to lock/unlock (FZV) & arm/disarm (DWA). FZV & DWA requires the use of the battery inside the remote...EWS does not...it is self powering through induction. So it is not odd that the remote can start the vehicle...but could have a discharged internal battery and not be able to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the vehicle.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-18-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0