View Single Post
      01-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Great Carplay Retrofit for E70

Team,

Im one of the forum divers who spends A LOT of time researching options & I thank all of you for the help & posts that get me there.

I have to share that I finally jumped in on the Unichip Apple Carplay box & I could not be more happy. It is a fantastic affordable fully OEM type solution. This is after I got the AVIN unit & returned it (very bad audio) and considered the full CIC upgrade. Glad I didnt do that.

Its a full screen (not boxed off) implementation & is slick as a pig in mud.

Comments on install:
1. Turn down the volume on your aux output thats controlled in idrive. Drop it 2 clicks below mid point. This ensures the audio that comes out is not overdriven (you want the signal low-ish so the amp is boosting quality audio & this does that). Audio I get is as good or better than the BT audio I was enjoying previously.

2. MAKE SURE you have a quality MFI certified cable to connect your phone. If you do all is well, if you dont it will drop & fail (true w/ all carplay head units)

3. The included microphone is great. Ran it to behind my rearview mirror, cant see it at all. WORKS GREAT. but found out in rain today it picks up the wipers too much lol. Need to move a tad...

4. I chose to drop the BT connection of my phone to my BMW now that I have this. If you dont do that, you have to turn off BT when in carplay mode. You cannot have BT & the AUX in going at the same time and not crash on phone calls. But there is no reason for a BT connection if you have carplay & the cable. All calls, music, etc all happen over the cable. No loss in functionality.

5. I love Carplay with the jog dial! Thought Id want touch screen but I dont. I love this as is & like using the idrive to navigate about safely. Super great.

Im often using it with the maps open, doing navigation, while also listening to podcast in background & then dictating texts occassionally as they come in. ALL within Carplay. Love it!!!!

I love having simple SIRI voice control for phone calls, texts, navigation & music. SO SO Great.
Appreciate 1