View Single Post
      03-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #283
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Thanks! Seems I can't leave well enough alone, I ordered a late model F-Series gear selector (does not have the door) to see 1) If shift knob shell is compatible 2) Replace my boot, as I cut it a tiny bit too short and 3) Determined the exact cutting dimension for the boot stem now that I know how to do it 4) See what kind of connector is used on the circuit board of gear selectors w/o little door. I am wondering if the shift knob connector is correct (which would mean it's compatible) but the other end is not compatible which wouldn't matter b/c you're not re-using the F-series ribbon cable. In that case it would open up gear selectors options. IF this is true, then you could potentially order late model gear selectors with like-new components. Older model gear selectors are harder to find with unscathed components.

Worst case I fix my boot and I update the DIY with the exact dimension to cut the boot stem...which should make it easier.
Update on using gear selectors without the little "door"...

Lots of compatible parts like shifter trim, P-button, RND display, however here's what's not compatible: Shift knob shell doesn't align to shell mounting hole on E70 Gear selectors. Circuit Board uses a different connector entirely which connects to bundled cable, not ribbon. [Update: I should also mention that that newer model gear selector shift rod has two threaded holes so it's backwards compatible with older shift knob shells. If you can measure accurately, you could drill a thru hole so the newer shell can fit on the older gear selector.]

Bottom Line: Order gear selectors with the little 'door' as shown in the DIY above.

Now I have ceramic and aluminum F-series shift knob trims along with lots of other spare parts from this project. I ordered an ///M RND display from ebay, will update here if it fits nicely or not. Hope so, that way you don't have to spend hundred of dollars on the CF trim to get an ///M RND display.

Name:  IMG_4855_resize.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  336.4 KB

Last edited by argento; 03-06-2022 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 3