View Single Post
      09-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #238
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

CF Diffuser Test Fit

Did a quick test fit of the CF diffuser. I noticed the following:

1) It does not exactly follow the oem diffuser outline FWIW. The upper corners of this diffuser are a bit more rounded, but it's not a significant factor to me. It does follow along most of the top and at the bottom. I will have to remove some of the vinyl wrap I installed so it doesn't peek out. Otherwise, fitment seems very good. I'll leave the vinyl cf wrap for protection from any rubbing, etc.

2) It appears the two inner fastener locations of the lower diffuser do align to the two oem fastener (nut plates) locations from beneath. However, I couldn't tell how accurately they align yet. The oem fasteners are too short to reuse.

3) You will have to drill some pilot holes (for sheetmetal screws) on the bottom of the OEM bumper cover for the two outermost mounting hole locations of the diffuser. I'm going to research to see if oem nut plates fit. When the CF diffuser is removed you would never see the drilled holes as this area is directly beneath the vehicle. I prefer reversible installs, but these small holes aren't significant IMO.

4) The fitment along the top seems firm when I hold the diffuser in place, but I may still incorporate some double sided tape on the installed vinyl wrapping just in case.

5) I feel the upper end of the diffuser needs to be perfectly aligned and held, then match drill beneath. For me, alone, this is cumbersome with the bumper on the vehicle and I'd rather remove the rear bumper to ensure the fitment is perfect. With that said, I don't think it's necessary for most, it just seems easier for me to remove the bumper cover and get best fitment. I posted a DIY on how to remove the rear bumper cover in this build thread, post #195.

Last edited by argento; 12-28-2021 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 2