View Single Post
      03-25-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Intercooler / Turbo Outlet Hose - Oil Leak

So I was chasing down a oil leak on the front passenger side of the car, and it seems the likely culprit is the red turbo outlet hose running into the intercooler. My question for everyone here is, for those who have had this problem what was your solution?

For reference, it’s a 2012 X5d with 134k miles.

I see three options ranging in price:

#1 replace the factory o-rings on the pipe and call it a day (#2 and 3 in the parts diagram). Question is I’ve seen some recommend replacing the metal clips as well, but can’t find any part numbers. I found one for the bottom at the intercooler connection (#15 in the other diagram), but can’t determine if the top connection at the turbo outlet has the same clip (17517802664).

#2 replace the hose entirely with the ATM option. My question is does replacing the entire hose really provide that much better of a connection for the extra $200 cost?

#3 all new intercooler and hoses since the plastic connections on an OEM intercooler don’t seem to fair well with time, vibration, heat, etc. This seems a little overkill to me and not likely to happen, but wanted to list it as an option since I’ve seen people mention it’s the true culprit of this lose fitting and subsequent oil leak.

Appreciate any insight you all might have on this issue, and before you ask yes oil does leak from the intercooler piping. It’s been occurring since these cars were new based on threads I see back in 2009, and is just a little quirk of the cars.
Attached Images

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0