View Single Post
      12-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
I never was able to get the so-called bleed procedure to work, not once. Instead, I fill up the reservoir, heat up the motor, turn on heaters to circulate through the heater core, and then use an allen on the two top screws until the coolant coming out is a steady stream. I place a towel in there to catch the excess, and be careful as the coolant is hot, but so little comes out. No need to unscrew them all the way, just a little.
I believe this bleed procedure only effects the intercooler coolant system, even though BMW could have done something similar with the engine coolant system since there are two electric water pumps in it too.

For the main coolant system, I used the vacuum coolant fill kit from FCP euro. Worked amazing, put in the exact amount not coolant and didn't need to bleed. You have to completely drain the system to use though.

When doing light work that only drains some of the coolant like working on the turbos, what I like to do is for the last step to poor coolant down the two small coolant tubes that feed the turbos, then connect very quickly. This is especially handy for n63 owners as BMW did not include bleed screws on the coolant connection T's for the n63. As far as I know, they did away with it on later years of the s63 and the TU variants and only the original S63 has them so your lucky.
Appreciate 0