United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
At the moment I currently connect to the factory Bluetooth for phone calls, then I've got a Bluetooth dongle connected to the aux input for streaming music since my 2010 doesn't have the option for music streaming from the factory. Are you saying that since the Android units microphone and Bluetooth connectivity overall suck, that I'd just continue connecting the same way? I'm fine with that, I just wasn't clarification.

I've got an Erisin 7835A in my Harley F150 which is a Windows CE and Android based stereo with a removable faceplate that is a 7" tablet...CE does things like the radio, Bluetooth, CD/DVD player, etc and then I can go into Android mode and it's a fully operating Android OS. In order for me to use things like Waze, Pandora, etc through the tablet, I need to turn on my tethering...which I usually never do since its just easier to run everything from my phone through Bluetooth and just listen to music and traffic instructions. One thing I've always wished is that there was a way to make the tablet always be able to have it's own internet connection so that I could use the tablet to control music, watch Waze on the dashboard, etc and not have to touch my phone. I've seen but don't know what 3G/4G dongles are. Do they require their own service plan, do they emulate my phone so I don't need to tether to the tablet? I enjoy having an Android based stereo, but it's not a standalone unit without having it's own signal in order to run standalone vs needing to be tethered. How do you operate yours?

My current routine once I get into the car is:

Connect my phones Bluetooth to the X5M's phone and the Bluetooth dongle I added in myself (if they both didn't pair on their own), start playing music, start Waze and enter my destination, set my phone in front of the stock navigation screen on landscape and then start driving. I'd love a stereo where I can skip ALL of this connection/pairing stuff and I could operate the Android portion of the stereo just like it's factory...I don't touch my phone at all, I just start the truck, start playing music, start Waze and start driving...all through the dashboard. In short, how can I have the Android unit connected to the internet at all times or do you go through a similar Bluetooth pairing and/or tethering routine every time?

I tried searching for Avin and somehow got onto an eBay page for a similar looking unit that was $500...are these two the same thing, just different names? Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182926917892
Your phone will connect to your car's Bluetooth the same way. If I understand correctly u streaming music from u phone to the car's multimedia thru Bluetooth usb stick. You can still do that the same way or you can put your music on the regular usb stick and connect it directly to the Avin.

As far as connecting to internet, originally I used my phone's personal hot spot to connect to the internet, the little issue with that you have to re enable this option on the phone all the time, every time u'll get to the car.

I ended up buying WiFi usb modem from Amazon for $40 put it on my AT&T plan for $20 extra a month but now every time I turn on my car I'm pretty much on the internet right away.
So no more reaching for my phone etc.,
I know there are other options such as FreedomPop where you can get independent sim etc., in my case I found it easer just to add it to my existing account.

I hope this helps!
Appreciate 0