06-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecadman99 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I'll be doing mine soon and this will be a great reference.

You measured the temp on the pan before final fill?
The DIY video said that he couldn't measure using INPA so I decided to use the pan to measure, which is easier for the M models since we have metal pans instead of the plastic ones on other models.

I actually messed this up too. I forgot my IR thermometer at home and the shop didn't have one so I just waited 15-20 min, did my shifts, drove around shifting into third and fourth then did the final fill. I used up all 7 liters and the fluid wasn't leaking out. I did lose some fluid in the filling process and my initial fill and dump mistake made me think maybe I flushed all 7 liters of fluid from the tranny (no I didn't measure how much came out). The shop was closing so I closed it up and drove home carefully while the wife ran to BMW before it closed and bought more fluid. When we drove back to the shop the next day and pulled the fill plug out fluid came pouring out. Turned out I overfilled it since the vehicle wasn't up to temp. Driving it back the next morning warmed up the fluid to proper operating temp.

Definitely use the IR thermometer to confirm that the fluid is up to temp.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0