06-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
This is not the case for the X5 M50d, if the outer lights are Xenon (high & low beam), each ring is powered by led, then the inner light has a H8 35w in installed.

If the outer lights are hallogen and the rings are led powered then the inner bulb is a H1 55w.

If you check RealOEM you will find that on the LCI X5 (US 35d) models that have normal foglights in the bumper-bar and have led rings also have a bulb present in the inner lights. We have also checked on the dealers service computer and it shows on my VIN number that there should be bulb in the inner light.

Part number 18 shows as a Controller Unit plate for Daytime Driving Lights which is on the inner light which covers the H8 bulb.

This is not the contoller for the led rings or DRL's ( Daytime Running Lights).

I was told by one BMW tech that they have seen these inner light activate when you pull the light stalk on the steering wheel to flash your lights during the day, I have tested this and this is not the case on my X5 M50d. We have also tested to see if the light comes on when turn the steering wheel at low speeds as if parking the car , again the inner light did not come on.

So I have asked the tech to check whats going on, they are going to pull the controller plate off (part 18) and see if the bulb is intalled if it is then whats it do, he is going to check if its a coding thing to activate the light or under what circumstances it comes on.

If the bulb is not installed then we are going to install one and see what happens as the controller plate is there.

Will let you know the outcome.
Interesting. My fog comes one for turns and reverse, but I see what you're saying now on the inner lights. I think they're just dummies since the LED DRL made the inner bulbs obsolete.

When i had the 2011 X5 model, I had to replace the OEM H8 bulbs on the inner lights to make the Halo rings whiter. Now that I have the 2012, I'm really not sure what the inner lights do either.

I'll pop the cover off to check if there's a bulb in there when I get back to home.
Appreciate 0