View Single Post
      09-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
drummerman15
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i

I got both VANOS cleaned on the passenger side and all is good again...except for the turbo issue and the persistent n63 oil leak. I'm thinking the Vanos were contributing to the oil loss as there was so much oil and dirt in that area. If I see more oil there, I will either replace the VANOS or get new seals - I'm sure they are worn.

On the turbos, the Aux pump is not doing anything - no coolant moving under operation or when trying the burping procedure. Also, on the burping, nothing happens with the turbos system or the regular cooling system. The procedure starts, the "!" comes on the screen, no pumps turn on, then the car turns itself off. But, when the engine is running, the regular cooling system shows coolant flow in the expansion tank (although, I still have a small coolant leak somewhere - have to add 1/2 gallon every week or so). Under operation, the Aux pump does nothing. I read that BMW issued a recall in April 2018 on the Aux pump, so I will ask about that at the dealership - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V248-8708.pdf. Again, I have never had a warning or code about the Aux cooling system or the pump.

So, I fully expect the stealership to find a reason to say "no" on the Aux pump for whatever reason. Will the Aux pump failure cause the system some of the other issues I'm experiencing (i.e. limp mode on acceleration instead of the turbos kicking in)? If I get the pump going what should be the next step I should take in troubleshooting the turbo issue (assuming all of the plugs and coils are good)?
Appreciate 0