View Single Post
      09-23-2018, 02:47 AM   #8
cd85233
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 N63

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerman15 View Post
Thanks cd85233 ! No Carly but I will look into getting that if I hold onto this car... I used a standard code reader from Autozone. I've never received the air cooler code - even when the dealer pulls the codes. Always a misfire issue.

I was able to get to the third bolt on the intercooler without removing the fan but it was a pain. Even if you removed the fan, it is still a pain. I ended up using an endoscope to help me find the bolt location and seat the socket. On the left bank, there are a ton of electrical wires behind the cooler and one was blocking the bolt. Also, there was a ton of oil and dirt between the intercooler and engine block - the electrics were coated. I suspect the vanos may have been slowly (or maybe not so slowly) leaking. I cleaned them up and bench tested them and they tested OK - they are back in but I haven't started it. I'll need to reassemble the intercooler and hoses tomorrow - I am seriously considering leaving that third bolt out.

I'm also going to slowly look into the turbo issue. I will post what happens with burping procedure and diagnosing the source of the turbo issue.
You're welcome. Take the fan out. Seriously. It makes a huge diferencie and take about 2 minutes to do. If I recall one of the 3 bolts can stay in and just has to be loosened. Don't leave a bolt out, just put some tape around the boot and the socket and it will go in easy.

I remember all the wires, you can move them around. I would think you are talking about the passenger side. That actually the easier side for me.

I wouldn't trust the dealers plugs. Should be easy enough to take them out and check them. I can't imagine getting a misfire with good plugs, good vanos and good coil packs. But I'm not terribly familiar with what other things may cause the misfires.
Appreciate 0