03-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #12
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
P.s. I'll add I tuned my transmission and felt it was a minor improvement at best. I also changed the oil... anyway it gets rid of a bit of the slip behavior when giving throttle at low speeds. But beyond that I felt it was a waste of money, fortunately it wasn't that expensive. Some people swear by the custom tunes, after how little change there was I didn't bother. I've not bothered with my 550i and x5m either since my 335d experience.

Some other things that break commonly are
The boost hose seals
Egr cooler

The glow plugs are not usually a problem unless you have a bad t-stat. Then the engine never achieves operating temp and constantly runs the glow plugs until they burn out. I'll also mention that I had the jr tuning, Mhd is a more recent tune and I don't know the reliability of it. Jr was trouble free for me for 55k miles, stage 2 with egr delete. Dpf and scr still active. The dpf rarely fails on these cars.

Skip the fluid damper. My car never ran as good as stock after installing. I went through 3 fluid dampers, various clutched pullies, replacing all belts and tensioners seeking a good idle. I started with the 1st batch and was part of the initial group by. I'm not the only one that has had problems with the fluid damper, but most folks won't post about it for fear that it will kill after market development of this part as folks won't buy it. But really the stock damper is fine.
Take his opinion on the trans tune with a grain of salt. There's many tunes available and they all blow away stock tuning. It also has better cold temp shifting. Not to mention the torque converter locks up much earlier than stock. The real fix for these cars is an upgraded torque converter but we won't get into that. The trans service is very important though like he said, every 50,000 miles it should be done

I personally don't recommend fluidamper either from all the issues they've had. The FAI automotive HD seems to be the best option and is popular in Europe over the stock unit. That's what I went with. The clutch alternator pulley is a must though, that will greatly increase the life of the HD.