United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
How many M6 variants have been used for racing versus how many m3 variants have been used for racing by BMW and private teams?

I don't think the M3 got the popularity that it did simply due to its name.
Huh? Have you been paying attention at all?
Do you remember what you've been saying?
Quote:
Still, it's kind of disappointing. The M6 traditionally never had a racing heritage whereas the M3 did.
Quote:
My point was that the M3 is the car that built BMW's reputation on the circuits and on the street.
Quote:
the e30's success in various racing organizations, and its introduction to the American market, in the 80's played a huge role in establishing BMW as a landmark car company.
Again,
The M6 was racking up victories left and right before the existence of the E30 M3.
If you want to talk about "tradition" and "landmark" moments, as well as "establishing BMW as a brand" per your previous posts, it happened well before the E30 M3. Ever heard of the 3.0 CSL? How about the 2002? There's a lot more to BMW heritage and tradition than the M3.
What you've been saying the entire time is that BMW's racing program and brand image weren't mature before the E30, which is absurd. BMW was well established in racing and known for great street cars well before the E30 M3.

Quote:
I'm not saying the M6 hasn't been used to race, I'm saying the M3 was the more popular platform for racing.
Yes you are...when you say the M6 "never had a racing heritage".

Quote:
And that aside, today's M6 is vastly different from yesterday's. The size of this new car is enormous compared to what it was 10-15 years ago.
And the F82 M4 is so vastly similar to the E30 M3 because...? They don't even share a namesake.

Quote:
I understand the M6's bigger displacement engine might account for some advantage vs other platforms in BMW's inventory, but the handling has got to be a disadvantage of sorts for a car that size.
Having a versatile engine that won't blow up mid-race is not just "some advantage", it's the difference between life & death in racing.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1