05-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
"my dac, jitterbug, and fancy aux cable ready to go."

Don't these unit ship with the required cabling....which one did you get....

I've no idea what DAC, jitterbug are!
Yes they do, you don't need anything else to be functional. You will just connect the monitor audio to the OEM AUX INPUT. I will say that using a better Aux Input cable than they provide is an option...I had tangible improvement upgrading to a $20 cable over the one Avin provided. Also use some isopropyl alcohol and qtip to clean your oem aux input...there's no cover on these and no telling how dirty it's gotten..any dust will cause static. There's a lot of information that cables don't matter, I'm not sure I agree completely,..but sound was so disappointing I upgraded and it helped some in this case.

I bought this one: https://4x4shop.ca/product/2010-2013...al-cic-system/

I'm running my system like this now and it's fine, but I usually avoid playing sound via the OEM Aux In b/c it's lesser quality than your current OEM setup. This is because the monitor internal digital to analog converter (DAC) may or may not be poor quality AND/OR is picking up noise from the internal electronics of the monitor and outputting it via the OEM Aux Input. One possible solution I read in the X5 forum by Sunny_J is to add an external DAC to the USB line of the monitor. The monitor automatically recognizes the external DAC, bypasses the internal DAC and sends the digital signal to the external DAC...where less interference is picked up and theoretically sending better sound to the OEM Aux Input. The jitterbug is a just a noise filter (https://www.audioquest.com/jitterbug...r-noise-filter) that you can add inline. I found a red dragonfly dac and this jitterbug as a bundle on ebay and picked it up. SO AS A TEST, in lieu of the monitor to oem aux input method, I plan to setup this way: MONITOR USB>JITTERBUG>RED DRAGONFLY DAC>AUX CABLE>OEM AUX INPUT. Not sure this is worth it, but willing to try. NOTE that Sunny_J used a Red Dragonfly DAC and he reported hiss at higher volumes. Maybe the jitterbug will help, but just installing all this is part of the way. Then I'll have to try adjust and synch volume settings to avoid poor sound. I'll write it all up in my build thread. Looking for anyone else who may provide insight here...

Sorry for the long-winded post...

UPDATE: And BTW, with my AVIN monitor and Carplay dongle, I managed to be able to use the monitor and the OEM sound most of the time.

Last edited by argento; 05-13-2020 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 1