11-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #451
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloidheros View Post
I have a 2013 X5 N63 with 93K.

Can I get any benefits from BMW if I didn't sign-up ?

My car smokes at low idle always (it's embarrassing at the drive thru)., I use Mobil-One and have tried different weight OILS,

Is there anything that would stop the smoke or make it more transparent ?

Thanks, Don
Mine had the same issue, a cheap fix is to ditch the factory BULLSH*T Crankcase ventilation system and install a catch-can setup. (cost is under 100 dollars and about 4 hours of your time)

You see with the factory setup there is almost no crankcase vacuum. As the engine ages with increased blow-by and valve stem seal wear you will get excessive oil burning, especially at Idle (this can also come from worn seals on the turbos). Getting some actual vacuum in the engine crankcase like its supposed to have will greatly reduce this.

Mine was so bad at Idle, people would stop me and point it out, was also burning a quart every 300 miles. After installing the catch-cans, I no longer have any smoke at stop lights, even idling for 10+ min in dead traffic and oil consumption dropped to a quart every 1500-2000 miles. I have 130,000 miles on mine. I'll make a new thread with how I set it up in the next few days after I emerge from rebuilding the turbos wastegates, putting in downpipes & JB4. Oh and if you do this, DONT use silicone hose like I did, I thought I could get away with it as I had it on hand and figured that would not be that much oil in contact with it but nope, you can see the center hose discoloring from the oil attacking the Silicone....Ill be replacing it with 1/2" Fuel line as I should have done. Have approx 6000 miles with this setup so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-23-2018 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
9vapors651.50