08-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #22
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Wife is seasoned insurance adjuster working nationwide. Says Florida is super shady on their tactics...there are absolutely no laws that would protect you from a shop getting you in the door, getting it torn down, and then raping you on cost.

She says based on suspension damage, frame damage from visible alignment of right side rear 1/4, total costs would likely be in the 12k range. It would be an instant total for an insurance claim.
As someone that is doing a complete gut remodel on a house, there is very little to legally stop a huge portion of work that is being done anywhere from being subpar and raping you on cost. You get the work done at reputable shops and don't just shop on price. There are plenty of ways to check a business out before the work is started and you eventually end up in court.

I do agree on the cost to make it perfect not being realistic which is the reason I would look into making it an acceptable driver. Highly unlikely the bumper and rear 1/4 panels need to be replaced to make this happen. From personal experience on wrecking a low value car I would also look into junk yard parts.