laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s390er View Post
My God!

This sounds far too similar to what I experienced this past week! 2012 X5M , Has 62000KMS , All services were done at the dealer and all recalls were up to date other then the latest auxiliary waterpump recall! The car got really loud and rumbled till I came to a stop and turned it off. After turning it off , it wouldn't startup! Towed it to BMW MARKHAM in Toronto , Canada. Now they want me to dish out $47000 for a new engine or 20 hrs labor at my expense just to diagnose what the issue could be! Contacted BMW Canada and ended up at a international call centre which doesn't seem to be leading me anywhere as of yet. The N63 and S63 engines both share the same timing chains and injectors. WHY ARE THESE NOT RECALLED YET! Please DM me and lets start contacting BMW NA and BMW CANADA to make a list of Vins all facing this same timing chain issue. 62000kms! that's a mere 37500 MILES! The only reason in my opinion why this hasn't been recalled is because there was fewer S63 engine vehicles as opposed to the N63 model which had a vast amount of models which included it. Is there anywhere else we can contact?? I'm sure we will be heard if we can get a group together! Even if someone was to do an out of pocket repair , the value of the vehicle is less then what they want to charge for replacing the engines. The N63 engines dropped drastically in price from the dealer after all these timing chain issues arose. Lets try to contact BMW and get something done out of this!

I have attached the codes which my mobile obd reader read off the car before I dropped it off , I also attached all the recall work done on this car since new! The dealer system couldn't read any of these codes even though my mobile obd reader did! The paperwork attached shows what my bmw service advisor sent me
Yikes! I too heard the roughly $40,000(usd) figure to get a new engine from BMW. The fact that you had this failure at such low miles is shocking. How often have you had the oil changed?
2019 i3
Appreciate 0