10-02-2022, 05:52 PM   #212
XRatedM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' X5M - 19' VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWX5 View Post
What's your take on the Rod Bearings, since I'll have to do the upper oil pan gasket since it is leaking I was also thinking of addressing the rod bearings. Evaluating whether this is something I can tackle on my own as well. I saw they have different clearances in real oem, that's the part I'm nervous about ordering the right parts for this.

Any parts that need special tools? I though there was something special about adjusting the oil pump chain. I previously tightened the oil pump chain when I dropped the lower pan and the chain was pretty loose so glad I did that. But should probably replace the chain as well, but not sure how hard that would be.
Although it's not a known issue in first gen S63 but certainly not a bad idea to do as preventative maintenance. I have been collecting parts for a bottom end engine refresh i.e. upper oil pan gasket, lower oil pan gasket, oil pump chain, rod bearings, rear main seal, rear coolant cover, motor mounts, and anything else I see along the way.

I doubt any specials tools are required but I'll double check in ISTA+ for you. You do need to replace connecting rod bolts, factory/OEM bolts have a 3 step torque process from what I remember. So I had planned go replace them with ARP or something (I haven't looked into it much just yet lol) but it's not rocket science - follow ISTA+ and you'd be good.

These things may not be in the worse of the condition but it's helps tremendously towards longevity of the engine.

Last edited by XRatedM; 10-03-2022 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0