09-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #208
XRatedM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' X5M - 19' VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWX5 View Post
Great thread! Been basically going through everything you have done on my 2010 with 140,000 miles. Just finished the turbo oil return lines, coolant y-pipe, auxiliary turbo water pump, crank case hoses, plugs and coils. Currently re-doing all the front suspension bushings, ball joints, front an back sway bar link and sway bar bushings. Also going to install Dinan Springs with the new Dinan Bump stops and new shock mounts and rubber perches.

Debating whether to do shocks, just due to mileage and age, but still seem to ride good. They aren't leaking and cost is crazy.....so will probably hold off.

What did you find was leaking on the transfer case? I have a leak as well, along with a deteriorating Guibo Flex Disc that will be next to tackle. Did you replace the actuator gear?

Also have leaking valve covers and upper oil pan (did the lower since that was easy and adjusted the oil pump chain which was very loose). How is your upper oil pan?
Hey, that's awesome - I think most of it is basic maintenance and needs done to retain the ride quality.

If the shocks aren't leaking, don't bother right now. I went the springs route for now because I plan on switching to KW V3 with EDC when it's time, for now it rides pretty well.

I have not replaced or touched the transfer case actuator because I had planned to remove the transmission + transfer case + differentials (front and rear) to go over in detail and inspect the leaks but I had to go on a road trip (about 2500 miles), so I just replaced the fluid and surprisingly transfer case and rear diff outer chambers were really low on fluid, about half of what is recommended, so it certainly is leaking but it's very slow and I'm not worried for now.

I do have a lot on my to do list but I hardly ever find time to get to it. Upper and Lower oil pan gaskets, rod bearings, engine mounts, rear control arms, flex guibo and so on. I just keep collecting parts lol and will see when I get to do it.

Ever since I sorted the PCV system with catch cans and a VVT breather, I'm not losing oil as such, about 300ml in 2500 miles which is quite normal for the S63 motor.

I haven't touched the bottom end of the motor yet but I plan to soon.