View Single Post
      01-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWe90
Hello - happy to be here posting on xbimmers.

I would like to start by saying that I'm fully aware the topic of 35i vs 35d has been thoroughly covered, and that I have searched and read dozens of threads. I am however new to the X5 world, and especially new to the world of diesel's. Just trying to do my due diligence.

Our situation is this - typical family w/ 2.5 kids, hectic schedules, busy lives, etc. My wife does a lot of running here, running there, and the mileage returns on her V8 volvo is becoming a harder pill to swallow. I would say about 70% of our driving is city, with the occasional weekend getaway with the kids (say 2 to 4 hours in the car of highway driving). Given our situation, I am wondering which X5 would make the most sense for us. The concerns I have are:

MPG....realistic MPG. With the majority of our driving being done in the city, and with the higher costs of diesel, I am wondering if the diesel would be worth it?

Reliability. As I've stated, I am completely new to both X5's and diesel's. Does either powerplant present great benefits in the general reliability department?

Maintenance Costs. Seeing as petrol engines are more dominant on the road, does this mean diesel's cost more to fix or maintain?

Daily Driving Comfort. Keeping in mind what this vehicle will realistically be used for (i.e. wifey and kids pound it on a daily basis, once every month or two I get to relax and take pride in my purchase, while cruising with the fam down the interstate. Anyone with kids can realte ) does the diesel or turbo engine have any strengths? I've heard some horror stories about the diesel being a bit "rough" at idle, around town, etc.

I generally keep vehicles quite a long time as well, and easily put 80-100k on the odo. The only reason I am considering unloading the XC90, is because of fuel economy. I should also mention that I plan to purchase a used X5, so the dealer incentives for diesel's (if they're even still around) is a moot point.

Thanks in advance for any support!
I was in a similar situation three years ago. My wife had an X3 3.0i, but wanted something bigger. I test drove both the gas and the diesel and felt the torque difference was noticeable, so that plus the diesel incentives did it for me. Three years later I am very happy with my decision, so much that I am replacing it with a 2013 diesel. In terms of maintenance, have had no major issues, just one non scheduled diesel specific visit to the dealer.

In terms of MPG with the AC on all the time and pretty much 90% city, stop-n-go traffic we get about 20 miles, which is better than what we used to get from the X3. Couple that with the fact that in our area diesel and premium gas are usually at the same price and we are happy on the fuel economy front. Also, plenty of stations that sell diesel in our area, so no issues there (does seem to be an issue in certain geographies). All in all I would recommend it, assuming the availability of diesel and the cost of diesel are not an issue where you live.
Appreciate 0