View Single Post
      01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

My wife does 80% city driving, and most are cold start very short distances as well (engine never gets to temp with her short drives) and we are seeing an average of 21 mpg per tank.

When we do a long HWY trip it shoots up to about 28. On a Cali/Seattle trip I had the range say 697 miles at fill up, and I went a good 600 miles before filling again (and I had not reached the low fuel warning)

For our specific situation, I did the math and diesel comes out cheaper per mile, even with the higher cost per gallon of diesel. (I assumed about a 3 MPG difference between gas and diesel). When diesel prices dip below regular gas in the summer it comes out WAY cheaper per mile. Averaged across the seasons, we save about $500 year in fuel by going diesel instead of gas. Of course each person's situation is different.

My wife doesn't mind the noise. 3 kids plus radio means you don't even notice it 90%of the time. Yes, if you kill the radio and crack a window it is super obvious you have a diesel. But under normal everyday events it is not an issue.

She LOVES the torque. Gushes about how her car "just goes" without having to mash the gas. That for me is one of the great parts of the diesel..... Sure it might be a tad slower 0-60 vs the gasser, but the amount of everyday usable power that you can get to without needing to downshift or rev the engine like mad makes it fantastic to drive.
Appreciate 0