05-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #38
GMP Performance
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E82 135i, E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
GMP, can you elaborate on the bump stop trimming? such as how much was trimmed off? from the top or the bottom? Also does the trimming effect bump stop functionality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skforzagroup View Post
x2 if there are any pictures as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
I didn't mean that it was undrivable because of rubbing - Its based on my experience with lowering links - that thing would be bouncing all over and the driver and passengers would look like bobble heads.

But yes, please tell us how trimming the bump stops addresses this issue.
One of the issues with lowering the rear of the X5/X6 models is that the rear suspension will sit on the bump stops with the links lowered to a desirable look. This makes the rear end bounce all over the place because there is basically no suspension travel to cushion the bumps. Trimming the bump stop alleviates this situation as it allows for some more suspension movement, but is not a complete solution. The best option is just to raise the rear suspension.

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the ones that we trimmed, but there is an example of what they look like below (image is not an X5/X6 stop). They have "ridges" and we trimmed one ridge off of each side. We have done this on two X6 models with positive results.

Example of what they look like:
Appreciate 0