View Single Post
      10-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
HLB9
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2008 135i

X5 35d Recurring Emissions Problems

Hi, I have a 2009 X5 35d that has had recurring issues with emissions system (EGR/SCR parts) ever since BMW started recalling parts in 2014. Parts are repeatedly failing at great expense to me. BMW Canada has assisted a few times with repair cost, but mostly just insists that "the car is out of warranty, sorry". The entire emissions system is warranteed in the US for 10 years, but unfortunately this is not the case in Canada (although they have recently extended the warranty on just the SCR Active Tank to 10 years). BMW knows this is a problem but not doing enough to help - the entire system should be warranteed in Canada as well.

My question is: has anyone else had repeated failures (of both replaced and also new/related parts in the diesel emissions system)? I am not sure whether my car is an exception or the norm - but either way it's unacceptable.

As i intend to drive this vehicle for at least a few more years, I feel like the better route to take is to go through BMW itself (and Ministry of Transportation, possibly), rather than taking it to a mechanic and "deleting" the systems.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0