View Single Post
      04-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #23
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

While I returned my ESS to go with HCP, ESS was very helpful. Dinan has always been on the conservative side power wise while also being usually the most expensive.

There are "S63" downpipes on eBay ranging from $300-$1300, but then they say they're for the M5 & M6, which is technically the S63TU. Comparing part numbers on realoem shows they're in fact different part numbers between an X*M and M5, but seeing we share the same engine architecture, it's hard to say if they're actually cross compatible...I just can't ever see paying anything near these higher asking prices for what's basically 6' of exhaust piping, which is why I went gutted. I don't know what brand these are, but I've wrapped them and will be fitting them soon...fingers crossed I wasn't misled.

Ask the tuner if they charge between each upgrade. If they do, then get the downpipes and tune done at the same time. If you don't mind the CEL, which won't affect performance, you could do the downpipes first (I'm sure you'll still feel the difference in quicker spooling) and you'll definitely notice an increase in sound...especially at cold idle. Once you're tired of the CEL, flash your stage 2 which you'll notice a huge gain. I don't think you can do a stage 2 without downpipes and I'm not sure if they can turn off the CEL on stage 1, but then again if you're doing downpipes, then you're gonna want stage 2 anyways.

I hope I'm making sense :-)
Appreciate 0